Roast Beef Topside
A leaner and tender cut compared to the silverside taken from the hindquarters. Try this melt-in-the-mouth roast beef topside this Christmas.
Beef topside joint
1 Onion, peeled and quartered
1 Garlic bulb, head removed
30g plain flour
500 ml stock
1 glass of red wine
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Lightly score the joint, and drizzle with the oil. Rub in the salt and pepper and leave to come to room temperature.
- Place the joint in the tray with the onion, drizzle a little oil over the onion before putting the tin in the oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes at 200°C, then turn the heat down to 160°C and roast for 20 minutes per 500g (1lb). Remove from the oven, cover with foil, and leave to rest for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Remove the onion and garlic from the roasting tin and spoon off most of the fat. Add the flour to the pan and place on a hob on low heat for one minute, stirring continuously. Add the stock and wine and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until thickened. Sieve and pour into a gravy boat.