Pot Roast Pork with Tomatoes and Ginger
This slow roasted pork recipe is braised in tomato and ginger sauce for 3 hours to leave the meat soft and tender. Add some noodles and green beans to make a delicious and comforting dish!
2kg boned and rolled leg of pork
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and cruched
2 celery sticks, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 x 5cm fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
Tsp fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Heat a large ovenproof casserole dish (large enough to take the pork). Using paper kitchen towel, dry the pork joint and season well all over.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the casserole dish and, using the rest of the oil, sear the pork joint over a high heat until it is sealed all over. Remove the pork
- Remove the pork from the pan and reduce the heat. Add the onions and fry them gently until soft. Add the ginger, garlic, and celery, and fry for a few more minutes
- Place the meat in the casserole dish, and pour over the passata, adding the onions, garlic, ginger, celery, and thyme. Cover the casserole and cook in the preheated oven for 3 hours, basting the meat now and then
- Once the meat is cooked (the juices will run clear when pierced with a skewer), remove it from the casserole dish and leave to rest while you make the sauce
- Skim off any excess fat and tip the tomato juices from the casserole dish into a blender and process until smooth, seasoning to taste. If necessary, add a squirt of lemon.
- Return the sauce to the pan and heat through before serving with thinly sliced meat.