Pigeon and Walnut Pâté
This is a coarse pâté which is made in a kitchen mincer. The electric blender (magimix) gives it a smooth and fine texture which can be served on toast as a delicious starter.
2 plump pigeons
1 rasher bacon, chopped
Sherry or brandy
- Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Mix half the butter with a little salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Divide into two and stuff the mix into the two pigeons.
- Gently brown the birds in a pan, turning them regularly until all sides are brown. Add the chopped rasher of bacon.
- Transfer the birds, bacon, giblets (if any) butter, and juices to a casserole dish. Add 1 tbsp of water. Cover the top tightly with foil and a lid, place into the preheated oven and cook for 2 hours.
- Once everything has cooked, take the flesh off the bones and weigh it. Add half its weight in walnuts and put the meat and nut mixture through the mincer. Mix with the rest of the butter, add the sherry or brandy, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pack into a suitable terrine and chill.