Feeding the family? This classic cottage pie recipe is guaranteed to be a family favourite! Packed with the goodness of carrots, onions and lean mince, this recipe makes a perfect comfort food dish!
1 large onion (finely chopped)
1 large carrot (finely chopped)
1 celery stick (finely chopped)
500g – 750g beef mince
1 tbsp plain flour
300ml beef stock OR 200ml
beef stock and 100ml red wine
1 tbsp tomato puree
650g potatoes (peeled and chopped) (we like a mix of Russet and Yukon Gold)
60ml whole milk
60ml sour cream
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
OR 2 tbsp mushroom ketchup OR 1 tsp Marmite
Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions, carrot, and celery and cook over a medium heat until slightly softened but not coloured.
- Increase the heat and add the mince. Break it up and cook until browned.
- Add the flour and cook for a minute, then add the liquid.
- Add the sauces, season to taste, cover and simmer for a minimum of 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Place the potatoes in a large pan with a pinch of salt, cover with water, and bring to the boil.
- Cook for 10 – 15 minutes until thoroughly soft.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan, then use a potato masher to mash until smooth.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, add the milk, and allow to simmer for a minute.
- Pour over the potatoes and stir until creamy. Add sour cream and stir until combined.
- Place the mince into a pie dish and top with the mashed potato. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes until browned.