Chilli Con Carne
This family favourite has a fun twist on traditional chilli recipes. Turn up the heat if you dare, or keep the chillis at bay if you’ve got little ones to feed!
1 large onion (finely chopped)
1 celery stalk (finely chopped)
1 red chilli pepper (deseeded and finely chopped) (optional)
500g beef mince
1 tbsp plain flour
300 ml beef stock
1 can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 square of dark chocolate
1.Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and celery and cook over a moderate heat until softened but not brown.
2. Increase the heat and add the beef mince. Break it up and cook until browned.
3. Add the flour, chilli pepper, chilli powder, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper and cook for a minute.
4. Add the stock, tomatoes, and kidney beans. Mix through and reduce the heat to a simmer.
5. Add the square of dark chocolate, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Serve on a bed of rice, enjoy!